Time and motion

Tom Kunich

Feb 1, 2024, 5:39:27 PMFeb 1
After I noticed that I was going a lot slower than I was I went to the doctor who told me that the pain in the stomach was probably caused as a left-over symptom of the Shingles I had and might never go away though they usually did. Well, within two days (after two weeks) the pain was gone.

But the important thing was the rather serious exhaustion I was incurring on the rides. That too disappeared after a couple of days after putting off going to the doctor for so long.

In fact, yesterday, despite the wind blowing out of the south (the way home) I still averaged a little over 10 mph into a strong headwind and intermittent rain. By the time I got home I was very tired but less than I would have expected.

Also on Tuesday I turned it on pretty hard on the way up Cull Canyon and on the way back, took a different route that added 3 miles to my ride. I finished the month with 268 miles in a month with quite a lot of rain days and more importantly the rain days were mostly on my riding days.

While I didn't have a tailwind on the way down, by the time I got to Alameda it started to rain and there was such a strong head wind that I knew that it would be a fight coming back so I turned around early. Coasting down the underpass under part of the runway at the new airport I couldn't exceed 12 mph where this is usually a 20+ mph drop. I kept looking at the average speed and wondering why it wasn't falling but the lowest it got as I was riding straight into the headwind was 10 mph.

I imagine that sounds slow to Lou, but I have a lot of stop signs and stop lights on the way I ride so I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass. And since a lot of the ride is on bike trails I have to moderate my speed because of cracks and bumps. Not to mention dog walkers and baby carriage strollers that you want to slow way down to pass. I have taken to coasting a long way up to people that are blocking the path so that they can here the clicking of the freehub. And I have to cross a number of bike bridges.

Going up Cull Canyon is always a mixed bag. Usually I am passed by a dozen or more people but the last two times the utilities have been out trimming trees overhanging the power lines and they stop you until oncoming traffic is passed. Until times like that you don't understand just how much traffic there is on that dead end road. On the way down the road has so many turns on it that I usually am not passed except for the occasional lunatic. The road is too narrow for cars to go fast but bikes have plenty of room.

Looks like another wet year.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 1, 2024, 6:35:06 PMFeb 1

https://www.rivbike.com/products/hammer-strike-bell-brass

--
- Frank Krygowski

Catrike Ryder

Feb 1, 2024, 7:23:54 PMFeb 1
Bicycle bells are for dingalings. I holler.

Roger Merriman

Feb 1, 2024, 8:07:14 PMFeb 1
Hmm your bike paths clearly are different to mine, the parks are on sunny
day fairly busy with walkers and what not, but that’s well a park so in
general expectations for fast cycling are unrealistic, though certainly
possible in Richmond or Regent’s Park say, has number of folks lapping
these at speeds.

Unless it’s a very old and unloved cycleway such as mine to work which has
variable tarmac quality no potholes though one tree root! But most have
good quality surfaces.

it’s more the design/area that effects how fast you can cycle Chiswick’s
high road is new post covid and good but your not going to hold 20mph like
you would down the Embankment quite apart from anything else being a high
street it has multiple junctions and what not that you’d need to wait for.
Where as the embankment is generally hoof down and with only one junction
where it crosses side of the road. That you’d expect to need to stop at.

Roger Merriman

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 1, 2024, 9:19:20 PMFeb 1
On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:39:25 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a lot of stop signs and stop lights on the way I ride so I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass.

Wrong (as usual). Recommended cycle length in California is 120
seconds. Typical is 80 to 180 seconds. None of the signals I've seen
have ever taken your 5 min (300 seconds) to cycle.

"Caltrans, Traffic Signal Operations Manual"
<https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/mobility/traffic-signal-operatons-manual-1-31-2020-a11y.pdf>
"In general, it is preferred that the cycle lengths for conventional,
four-legged intersections not exceed 120 seconds, although larger
intersections may require longer cycle lengths." (Pg 57)

Show me a 5 minute cycle length intersection in California and maybe
I'll believe you.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

AMuzi

Feb 1, 2024, 9:34:16 PMFeb 1
On 2/1/2024 8:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:39:25 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a lot of stop signs and stop lights on the way I ride so I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass.
>
> Wrong (as usual). Recommended cycle length in California is 120
> seconds. Typical is 80 to 180 seconds. None of the signals I've seen
> have ever taken your 5 min (300 seconds) to cycle.
>
> "Caltrans, Traffic Signal Operations Manual"
> <https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/mobility/traffic-signal-operatons-manual-1-31-2020-a11y.pdf>
> "In general, it is preferred that the cycle lengths for conventional,
> four-legged intersections not exceed 120 seconds, although larger
> intersections may require longer cycle lengths." (Pg 57)
>
> Show me a 5 minute cycle length intersection in California and maybe
> I'll believe you.

Albert Einstein:
"Sit on a hot stove for a minute, it seems like an hour.
Sit next to a pretty girl for a hour, it seems like a minute.
That's relativity."
--
Andrew Muzi
a...@yellowjersey.org

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 1, 2024, 9:59:07 PMFeb 1
I understand. Tom's Garmin clock slows down when he sits on it.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 1, 2024, 10:47:23 PMFeb 1
On 2/1/2024 9:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:39:25 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a lot of stop signs and stop lights on the way I ride so I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass.
>
> Wrong (as usual). Recommended cycle length in California is 120
> seconds. Typical is 80 to 180 seconds. None of the signals I've seen
> have ever taken your 5 min (300 seconds) to cycle.
>
> "Caltrans, Traffic Signal Operations Manual"
> <https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/mobility/traffic-signal-operatons-manual-1-31-2020-a11y.pdf>
> "In general, it is preferred that the cycle lengths for conventional,
> four-legged intersections not exceed 120 seconds, although larger
> intersections may require longer cycle lengths." (Pg 57)
>
> Show me a 5 minute cycle length intersection in California and maybe
> I'll believe you.

Typical traffic light cycles around here are one minute, although I know
of a couple I pass frequently that are 40 seconds. That means the light
is red (or green) for half that time, usually 30 seconds.

I sometimes make use of that fact, to time my passage through the
intersection. I slow on approaching a red light so it goes green just
before I get there. That way I waste less time being stationary. On a
bike it saves my energy. In a car, it sometimes allows me to get past
other traffic.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Catrike Ryder

Feb 2, 2024, 6:44:19 AMFeb 2
On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 01:07:10 GMT, Roger Merriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
wrote:
It's six miles from where I park the truck out to where it connects
with the Suncoast trail named the Starky Park Trail. I'll often see a
couple of runners and walkers, and maybe a kid or two on training
wheels. There's not enough of them to slow me, or the 20+ MPH riders
down. OTOH, walkers and runners are very rare on the Suncoast or the
Withlacoochee trails.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2024, 10:40:21 AMFeb 2
One of th4e guys that rides with us uses a bell like that and until he us directly behind someone they have no response.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2024, 11:00:40 AMFeb 2
Liebermann simply cannot stop himself from talking about things he knows nothing about. He seems to assume that there is one signal stopping traffic and not long signals stopping traffic from the left, then another long light stopping traffic from the right, and then a long left turn signal. He says things simply to make noise. Plus at the Hegenberger light there is this sort of light followed 100 yards further on with an identical 75th Avenue light because these control the entrance to the new Oakland Airport. And then one block further on is an "automatic" light that cycles through for no reason since that is the Old Oakland Airport and Kaiser has their jet fleet based out of there. So after being held up for up to 5 minutes at those first two lights, you might be held up another 30 seconds at the third light for NO cross traffic. And they wonder why then the traffic now free for 2 miles doesn't accelerate up to 80 mph so that section of the road is no unsafe for bicycle traffic and has to take the bike trail that goes completely out of the way.

Liebermann goes far out of his way to say stupid things simply because he believes that he is contradicting me and not because he has the slightest idea what the hell he is talking about. He is angry because he is one of life's losers and now California and Biden are about to take away what little he has as he votes for them only because I vote against them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-08/yellen-renews-call-for-tax-hikes-on-rich-social-spending-boost

Blithely unaware that he is the very definition of "rich" to the Democrats - he owns property that is growing in value that they can tax him for.

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 2, 2024, 1:22:38 PMFeb 2
On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 08:00:37 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>there is one signal stopping traffic and not long signals stopping traffic from the left, then another long light stopping traffic from the right, and then a long left turn signal. He says things simply to make noise. Plus at the Hegenberger light there is this sort of light followed 100 yards further on with an identical 75th Avenue light because these control the entrance to the new Oakland Airport. And then one block further on is an "automatic" light that cycles through for no reason since that is the Old Oakland Airport and Kaiser has their jet fleet based out of there. So after being held up for up to 5 minutes at those first two lights, you might be held up another 30 seconds at the third light for NO cross traffic. And they wonder why then the traffic now free for 2 miles doesn't accelerate up to 80 mph so that section of the road is no unsafe for bicycle traffic and has to take the bike trail that goes completely out of the way.

You wrote: "I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights
to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass."

The numbers I provided were for "a stop light" and not a complex mess
of adjacent intersections with synchronized signals. You cleverly cut
the cycle length in half to 2.5 minute (150 seconds) by adding a 2nd
intersection. Too bad it doesn't work that way. If you synchronize
two intersections, the traffic THROUGH both intersections in both
directions does not stop. So, the cycle length does not double.
Instead, two such intersections would expand from a 4 way signal to a
6 way signal. There are also standards and recommendations for such
intersections:

"GUIDELINES FOR TIMING AND COORDINATING DIAMOND
INTERCHANGES WITH ADJACENT TRAFFIC SIGNALS"
<https://nacto.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/timing_and_coordinating_interchanges_with_traffic_signals_chaudhary.pdf>

APPENDIX C. CYCLE LENGTH SELECTION GRAPHS
There are graphs showing the estimated cycle length for various
configurations and traffic volume. The longest cycle length on the
graphs is 180 seconds.

APPENDIX D. TRAVEL TIME CALCULATIONS
This provides examples of different intersections. The largest travel
time shown in the tables between adjacent roads is 60 seconds.

None of the discussion or examples result in anything near 300 seconds
for any configuration.

However, there is always an exception:
<https://www.nj.com/news/2010/06/nj_motorists_continue_to_be_fr.html>
<https://999ktdy.com/the-longest-red-light-in-america-is-5-minutes-30-seconds-long/>
<https://www.google.com/search?q=longest+traffic+signal>
5 minutes 33 sec for a double intersection.

Maybe your intersection can win you a new record for the nations
longest traffic signal? Well, maybe not:
<https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/115671-longest-time-to-stop-light>
3,600 seconds (1 hour)
at the University of Science and Technology of China.

NFN Smith

Feb 2, 2024, 6:22:55 PMFeb 2
Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 18:35:01 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/1/2024 5:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> ... a lot of the ride is on bike trails I have to moderate my speed
>> because of cracks and bumps. Not to mention dog walkers and baby
>> carriage strollers that you want to slow way down to pass. I have taken
>> to coasting a long way up to people that are blocking the path so that
>> they can here the clicking of the freehub. ...

This is one of the reasons I tend to avoid the multi-purpose paths, even
though I live right next to one. Road speed for a bicycle is generally
too fast to be safe around pedestrians. And the path next to my house
has a section that's not maintained well. It gets a lot of runoff from
rain, resulting in puddles that accumulate on the path, and subsequent
accumulations of silt (first mud, then dried) that never get cleaned up.
Plus, the path is concrete, where there are issues with surface
buckling in the seams. Even if no puddles and silt, the buckles are
tricky to navigate on skates. There's another section of this path a
mile or so away, where the concrete was put down by a sidewalk
contractor, and where it's barely enough for two bikes to pass each other.

I think the responsibility for maintenance belongs to the homeowner's
association (and where the path was put in as a condition for permission
to build the subdivision, in connecting to other segments of the path at
each end. The path goes past the edge of the subdivision, where it's
mostly separated by walls. I doubt that most of the residents of the
subdivision even know that the path is there. Even if it's the
subdivision's responsibility to maintain, there's a lot of "out of
sight, out of mind", as well as the attitude that money spent on
maintaining is more benefit to outsiders passing by than residents. I
need to check with the City on that one.

>> https://www.rivbike.com/products/hammer-strike-bell-brass
>
> Bicycle bells are for dingalings. I holler.

When I was in the Netherlands, I noticed that even racing bikes have
bells on them, and I think that's a legal requirement.

If it's windy, a voice isn't always heard easily, and I've found that
the common practice of calling out "on your left" (meaning "I'm passing
on your left") often gets misinterpreted by pedestrians as a request to
"move to your left" (and the opposite direction of where I want them to
go). Also, to me, the tone of the bell seems to have a tone of a
friendly "excuse me", where other forms of audio signaling (voice, or
something like a bulb horn) more often implies a harsher tone of "get
out of my way".

Smith

Frank Krygowski

Feb 2, 2024, 9:45:11 PMFeb 2
On 2/2/2024 6:22 PM, NFN Smith wrote:

> This is one of the reasons I tend to avoid the multi-purpose paths, even
> though I live right next to one. Road speed for a bicycle is generally
> too fast to be safe around pedestrians. And the path next to my house
> has a section that's not maintained well. ...

That is a very common problem. Our village has one very useful short
section of "shortcut" path, giving bike access, but no motorized access,
from the village center to a nice quiet "residential collector" street
that heads into the center of the city. This configuration makes the
street less popular with motorists. I was the guy who initiated the
request to pave it, maybe 20 years ago.

But the maintenance has been about zero, and the asphalt surface is now
badly heaved by tree roots in several places.

Even more weird: At its north end, the path empties onto a 100 yard
section of gravel road, perhaps the last one in the village. I think
there's a dispute about whether that section is public right of way or
privately owned. Anyway, I rode that direction today and found the
former gravel road had just been "repaved" with what looks like soft,
muddy dirt! I got off my bike and walked in the grass, then later took a
different route home.

The general principle always seems to be "Any bike facility is a good
bike facility."

>>> https://www.rivbike.com/products/hammer-strike-bell-brass
>>
>> Bicycle bells are for dingalings. I holler.
>>

> When I was in the Netherlands, I noticed that even racing bikes have
> bells on them, and I think that's a legal requirement.

I researched that before our last several trips to Europe. For various
countries, I kept finding that bells or other noisemakers are required,
so I installed them on our travel bikes. I believe they're a legal
requirement in some U.S. states as well. Not that anyone's likely to get
a ticket in the U.S., at least.

--
- Frank Krygowski

NFN Smith

Feb 3, 2024, 5:14:49 PMFeb 3
Frank Krygowski wrote:
> The general principle always seems to be "Any bike facility is a good
> bike facility."

It checks a box on somebody's list.

Smith

Tom Kunich

Feb 15, 2024, 6:27:26 PMFeb 15
At the long delay light, I approach it sight unseen on a bike trail. And I have to push a button to let it give me a crossing signal. This morning there was no traffic coming from the left so I crossed to the center divider to wait for traffic coming from the right to clear. Because I hadn't hit the cross button, I had to wait almost THREE minutes for a car to come on the road out of the new Oakland Airport that wanted to turn left before it brought the bumper to bumper traffic coming from my right to be stopped so that I could cross to the bike lane. Then after the traffic from the new airport cleared there was trffic from the other side which has to turn right on green-only go a block and turn towards the airport.
that also has a 4 way stop. Great fun.

Because it was sprinkling, I had to cross 6 bridges all of which have metal plates or are emtirely made out of metal. The road wsa soaking wet and I tried to make my Gatorskiins slip on the wet metal and couldn't. So I'm not clear about why Roger seems to thinks that Gatorskins have poor traction.

17 miles in is the coffee stop. As I was drinking my coffee the sprinkling stopped and the sun came out. But the temperatire then dropped. Presently outside it is 67 degrees outside and the temperature is beginning to drop. This is the warmest part of the day.

Tom Kunich

Feb 20, 2024, 12:36:15 PMFeb 20
Liebermann, you are a damned fool and comment just to try and make yourself look smart when you aren't smart and were never successful because of it. Do you know trhat I feel sorry for you and youur stupid antics attempting to get SOMEONE, ANYONE, to think you're smart. And the bottom line is that you are smarter than Flunky and just about as successful.

But stop trying to make me look wrong because it is rare and you never know the correction.

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 20, 2024, 1:50:45 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:36:10 GMT, Tom Kunich <cycl...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Liebermann, you are a damned fool and comment just to try and make yourself look smart when you aren't smart and were never successful because of it. Do you know trhat I feel sorry for you and youur stupid antics attempting to get SOMEONE, ANYONE, to think you're smart. And the bottom line is that you are smarter than Flunky and just about as successful.

The search for self-esteem is a sure sign of its absence. So, how do
you measure your success? The large bank account that probably
doesn't exist? The short list of successful products you "designed"?
The amazing feats of bicycle riding that have been demonstrated to be
unlikely? The rather odd physics and electronics explanation of how
things work? The rather miserable success rate of your bicycle
repairs and purchases? The large (about 13) number of bicycles
crammed into your small garage? The small number of individuals in
RBT who agree with you? Which of these do you use as your metric for
measuring success?

>But stop trying to make me look wrong because it is rare and you never know the correction.

I don't try to make you "look" wrong. I try to prove that you are
wrong. Statistically, I think I can demonstrate that you are ALWAYS
wrong. I really should post a list of "amazing facts" by Tom Kunich.
If the lack of quality of your facts isn't sufficient, perhaps the
huge quantity will suffice.

Catrike Ryder

Feb 20, 2024, 2:46:18 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:50:32 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
As for me, I measure my success by noting how very seldom I regret the
things I've done. For the most part, I wouldn't have wanted my life to
have gone any other way. A happy man is a successful man.

Tom Kunich

Feb 20, 2024, 3:46:01 PMFeb 20
So I was wrong when I said that the Cull Canyon Dam had been filed in completely with mud? That they had a SIGN saying "Keep out, deep mud"? If you conwsider about an average of one completed project a year to be a short list over a 50 year career I suppose it is a short list. Perhaps you can tell me one project you've EVER completed. The problem is that you're all mouth. And I would shut it for you if your vaccinations weren't going to do all of the work instead.

Why don't you "prove" that the vaccinations haven't increased cancer 4 fold by showing us a graph of cancers between 1975 and 2020?

Tom Kunich

Feb 20, 2024, 3:49:47 PMFeb 20
We could always take Frank's measure of success - "how many patents do you have" If he really meant that he could be nothing but a failure since he has NONE

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 20, 2024, 5:11:20 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:45:57 GMT, Tom Kunich <cycl...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>So I was wrong when I said that the Cull Canyon Dam had been filed in completely with mud?

Yes, you were wrong, as usual.

>That they had a SIGN saying "Keep out, deep mud"?

Show me a photo of that sign and the mud and I might believe you.

Oh wait. I may have found photos of your mud and sign. Is this it?
<https://www.bing.com/images/create/a-sign-with-22keep-out---deep-mud22-in-a-muddy-pond/1-65d51d7812ff418fbad24ca910768c5c>
<https://www.bing.com/images/create/a-sign-with-22keep-out---deep-mud22-in-a-muddy-pond-/1-65d51e826ada44e2ab065011057db456>

>If you conwsider about an average of one completed project a year to be a short list over a 50 year career I suppose it is a short list.

50 year? Your online resume shows your career started in 1984 and
ended in 2014. That would be 30 years (minus 4 years to recover from
a bicycle accident).

>Perhaps you can tell me one project you've EVER completed.

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-liebermann-151823/details/experience/>
I believe that I may have offered to provide you with a list of
products I helped design. I need to leave now for a final eye
inspection with my ophthalmologist. I'll see if I can find my product
list or create a new one. Remind me if I forget.

>The problem is that you're all mouth.

Text to speech software can help you hear what my mouth produces.

>And I would shut it for you if your vaccinations weren't going to do all of the work instead.

Poorly veiled threat. I'll ignoring it.

>Why don't you "prove" that the vaccinations haven't increased cancer 4 fold by showing us a graph of cancers between 1975 and 2020?

Because you were the liar who made that claim and then didn't bother
citing your sources or providing any substantiation. Do you really
expect me to prove YOUR points? You also didn't bother reading the
two links I provided that explains why cancer statistics during the
years of the pandemic were problematic.

Catrike Ryder

Feb 20, 2024, 5:22:48 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:49:42 GMT, Tom Kunich <cycl...@yahoo.com>
Clearly, Frank Krygowski is not a happy man. I wonder how many things
he regrets doing or not doing?

Tom Kunich

Feb 20, 2024, 5:52:46 PMFeb 20
Why do you claim that That dam wasn't filled in with mud when it is clearly visible on Google Earth?

https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70429821,-122.05628952,76.5306297a,255.97127499d,35y,44.42002901h,0t,0r/data=OgMKATA

Why do you claim that there isn't a sign when I have shown it a dozen or more times?

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1063064831504932&set=pob.100034042758783

There isn't anything you won't lie about is there?

This is 2024 and we have quadrupled the incidence of cancer since the introduction of the vaccine in 2021 and what is your proof
I'm wrong? A chart showing cancer statistics from 1975 to 2020.

Is there anything you don't feel perfectly comfortable in lying about?

At least Flunky knows that he is lying.

John B.

Feb 20, 2024, 7:17:32 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:52:42 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nope no dam

>Why do you claim that there isn't a sign when I have shown it a dozen or more times?
>
>https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1063064831504932&set=pob.100034042758783

Nope. No sign.

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Feb 20, 2024, 7:31:01 PMFeb 20
I recently came cross some numbers:

Tom's residence in a self described "slum"
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Leandro/3539-Monterey-Blvd-94578/home/1500161
A 3 bedroom, 2 bath house valued at $835,925.

https://www.officialusa.com/names/Frank-Krygowski/
https://www.trulia.com/home/29-ohio-ave-poland-oh-44514-34816270
Frank's Residence described as a 3 bedroom 1 bath house valued at
$177,400

Which probably tells you all you need to know about Frank and why he
is driven to disparage others.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Luns Tee

Feb 20, 2024, 7:55:59 PMFeb 20
On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 6:19:20 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:39:25 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a lot of stop signs and stop lights on the way I ride so I can spend 5 or more minutes at a stop waiting for lights to change or traffic whose turn it is to pass.
> Wrong (as usual). Recommended cycle length in California is 120
> seconds. Typical is 80 to 180 seconds. None of the signals I've seen
> have ever taken your 5 min (300 seconds) to cycle.

There are intersections where green is given only if a vehicle is detected. Often the vehicle sensor is calibrated such that a bicycle will not register, and I've had instances of waiting through two full cycles of the light without getting a green. The most recent instance I can remember was waiting for a left turn arrow from Windemere Parkway onto Camino Tassajara in San Ramon. I don't know if I've waited a full 5 minutes though, and now knowing to anticipate this when there are no left-turning cars, I just hop off my bike to cross as a pedestrian rather than wait for a cycle.

-Luns

Frank Krygowski

Feb 20, 2024, 10:20:00 PMFeb 20
Some here have simple minded fun claiming there's nothing to learn about
riding a bike. But for cyclists riding in real world urban or suburban
surroundings, triggering traffic lights is a skill worth learning. (And
I'll note the Ohio Bicycle Federation successfully lobbied for a law
that allows cyclists to carefully proceed past red lights that don't
change.)

Around here, at least, the vast majority of traffic sensors are
inductive loops buried in the pavement. It's worth learning the best
placement of one's bicycle for the different loop patterns. And
generally, if an inductive loop fails to detect you, there are tricks
you can use to increase your chances of success.

Cameras are now gaining popularity. If a camera detector doesn't work,
there are some ways that can help your odds. We can discuss details if
people like.

But I'll warn, the discussion might not involve right wing politics,
guns or insults! Would it still be appropriate here?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 20, 2024, 11:54:46 PMFeb 20
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:17:25 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
This shows the dam and spillway.
<https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70385425,-122.05525804,81.20348933a,126.35610161d,35y,61.89189098h,60.41275115t,0r/data=OgMKATA>
Looking back in time with Google Earth Pro, I find that the area
behind the dam was flooded up to about 2019. I found some photos that
showed quite a bit of mud in the area formerly flooded with water.
There's a small pond in the upper left which I guess is the remains of
the water. No clue where Tom's bicycle path is located.
<https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70521068,-122.05524783,76.4840557a,480.82115293d,35y,34.38173018h,60.15388337t,0.00000085r/data=OgMKATA>

>>Why do you claim that there isn't a sign when I have shown it a dozen or more times?
>>https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1063064831504932&set=pob.100034042758783

>Nope. No sign.

I keep looking at the Google Earth photos and the photo of the sign.
It might seem like the same place but I can't be certain. Facebook
strips off the EXIF info from all photos so I can't verify the
location. There's no mud visible in the facebook photo.

Tom, if you had posted that link to your photo 12 times since you
posted it to Facebook on Jan 3, your critics and I would have surely
seen it and add appropriate comments. I did a quick search with
Google Groups for the Facebook URL.
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto%2F%3Ffbid%3D1063064831504932%26set%3Dpob.100034042758783+author%3ATom+author%3AKunich>
Nothing found except John's posting. Tom, you're lying (again).

There's also a problem with the Facebook photo. The sign does not
show a shadow while the small trees behind it show very distinctive
shadows. I would call this a bad fake photo.

There might be a problem with my Usenet news provider, Supernews. It
might also be a problem on Tom's end because he just switched to
NewsHosting.com. The only reason I saw his article was that it was
partially included with John's reply. Tom's article did appear in
Google Groups as:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/QfPkRcblWoU/m/NjW-v2kWAQAJ>
No clue what happened but I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 3:17:31 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:30:55 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
Got a degree, then did nothing with it but stand in front of a
competition free classroom where nobody is going to evaluate his
performance. Riding his bicycle only in group rides or trips to his
job or the grocery store. All he's got to brag about is, "Hey, I can
ride a bicycle pretty good.

Deep down he knows he's a namby-pamby.

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 3:18:31 AMFeb 21
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:19:55 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/20/2024 7:55 PM, Luns Tee wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 6:19:20?PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

>>> Wrong (as usual). Recommended cycle length in California is 120
>>> seconds. Typical is 80 to 180 seconds. None of the signals I've seen
>>> have ever taken your 5 min (300 seconds) to cycle.
>>
>> There are intersections where green is given only if a vehicle is detected. Often the vehicle sensor is calibrated such that a bicycle will not register, and I've had instances of waiting through two full cycles of the light without getting a green. The most recent instance I can remember was waiting for a left turn arrow from Windemere Parkway onto Camino Tassajara in San Ramon. I don't know if I've waited a full 5 minutes though, and now knowing to anticipate this when there are no left-turning cars, I just hop off my bike to cross as a pedestrian rather than wait for a cycle.
>
>Some here have simple minded fun claiming there's nothing to learn about
>riding a bike.

Krygowski's bicycling classes will also instruct you on how to mount
and dismount your bicycle.

John B.

Feb 21, 2024, 5:55:48 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 03:17:25 -0500, Catrike Ryder
But did he get a degree? He brags about a PE - professional Engineer
- license but never mentions attending collage.
https://www.studyforfe.com/blog/how-to-obtain-a-pe-license-without-a-degree/
--
Cheers,

John B.

zen cycle

Feb 21, 2024, 6:00:35 AMFeb 21
What tom glossed over in his rant about waiting for the light to change
is that he was waiting for the crosswalk after he pressed the button.

zen cycle

Feb 21, 2024, 6:01:38 AMFeb 21
Maybe if you took that class you wouldnt need to ride a tricycle

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 8:41:06 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:55:44 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
Interesting question...

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 8:45:34 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:40:59 -0500, Catrike Ryder
Does he even have a PE licence?

Frank Krygowski

Feb 21, 2024, 10:26:23 AMFeb 21
+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 10:33:01 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:26:18 -0500, Frank Krygowski
I'm pretty sure I was riding a two wheel bicycle before either of you
two sissy-boys were potty trained.

Tom Kunich

Feb 21, 2024, 10:53:23 AMFeb 21
A 90 year old cannot see a dam. All it takes is to look at Cull Creek entering a spillway on the uphill side of the dam but your vision is obviously too poor to make that out. The same with the sign that says "Danger - Keep Out - Deep Mud". If you had any eyesight you would also notice that there is no water in Cull Creek. That is because something like 100 gallons a minute are flowing into the mud basin.

When I had eyes as bad as yours I had them fixed. Or maybe you don't understand that Google Earth foreshortens things. Ie must make you miserable to be blind.

Tom Kunich

Feb 21, 2024, 10:58:48 AMFeb 21
Liebermann, your mind is showing. You are absolutely certain that I would take a picture from somewhere else in order to fool you. You are just as certain that I don't have any money. You also believe that I am taking a bicycle path up Cull Canyon rather than the road. Your mind is so screwed up that you are indeed one pitiful creature trying their hardest to believe they aren't.

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 5:27:27 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:45:27 -0500, Catrike Ryder
Interesting that Krygowski missed this chance to back up his claims
with a few braggs.

John B.

Feb 21, 2024, 8:28:22 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:53:20 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nope Tommy, you posted a reference
https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70429821,-122.05628952,76.5306297a,255.97127499d,35y,44.42002901h,0t,0r/data=OgMKATA

I looked at your reference... no dam.
End of story.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 21, 2024, 9:58:21 PMFeb 21
:-) John, one doesn't get an Ohio Professional Engineering license
without an appropriate degree in engineering. See
https://peps.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/a79a8dc0-dcad-4ff0-a0e6-3107d17fffc2/PE+Licensure+Guidelines+Sept+2022.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-a79a8dc0-dcad-4ff0-a0e6-3107d17fffc2-oefmY3.

>>> Interesting question...
>>
>> Does he even have a PE licence?
>

> Interesting that Krygowski missed this chance to back up his claims
> with a few braggs.

The framed license is above my desk as I type. So is the one for
Pennsylvania. Of course I can post and link to a photo - but I'm back in
the usual conundrum: If I don't post evidence, I'm making things up. If
I do post evidence, I'm bragging.

This is like arguing with fourth graders.

Why don't John and the tricycle rider post about their educations? (I
suspect it's because they match Tom's.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 21, 2024, 11:18:20 PMFeb 21
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:28:16 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Not quite the end. I found the missing dam. Bring up the Google
Earth photo again. This time tilt the viewing angle from the default
of directly from about to something where you can see 3D objects by
depressing AND HOLDING DOWN the middle mouse button while moving the
mouse downward. You should see something like this:
<https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70385129,-122.05526012,81.28319227a,207.33115899d,35y,61.89188971h,60.41338441t,-0r/data=OgMKATA>
The roads go over the top of the dam. The concrete thing near the
intersection is part of the dam. The spillway (Cull Creek) goes under
the road.

I posted that and some other details on Tuesday, but my now worthless
Usenet server decided it would be a good day to eat all my outgoing
messages followed by replying to request that they fix the problem
with yet another obnoxious reply. I've been involved with Supernews
since about 1996 and this is the first time they had such server
failures and acted in such a manner. I'll be shopping for a
replacement shortly. Good companies don't seem to last forever.

Here's a copy of the lost message:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:52:42 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Why do you claim that That dam wasn't filled in with mud when it is clearly visible on Google Earth?
>>https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70429821,-122.05628952,76.5306297a,255.97127499d,35y,44.42002901h,0t,0r/data=OgMKATA

>Nope no dam

This shows the dam and spillway.
<https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70385425,-122.05525804,81.20348933a,126.35610161d,35y,61.89189098h,60.41275115t,0r/data=OgMKATA>
Looking back in time with Google Earth Pro, I find that the area
behind the dam was flooded up to about 2019. I found some photos that
showed quite a bit of mud in the area formerly flooded with water.
There's a small pond in the upper left which I guess is the remains of
the water. No clue where Tom's bicycle path is located.
<https://earth.google.com/web/@37.70521068,-122.05524783,76.4840557a,480.82115293d,35y,34.38173018h,60.15388337t,0.00000085r/data=OgMKATA>

>>Why do you claim that there isn't a sign when I have shown it a dozen or more times?
>>https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1063064831504932&set=pob.100034042758783

>Nope. No sign.

I keep looking at the Google Earth photos and the photo of the sign.
It might seem like the same place but I can't be certain. Facebook
strips off the EXIF info from all photos so I can't verify the
location. There's no mud visible in the Facebook photo.

Tom, if you had posted that link to your photo 12 times since you
posted it to Facebook on Jan 3, your critics and I would have surely
seen it and add appropriate comments. I did a quick search with
Google Groups for the Facebook URL.
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto%2F%3Ffbid%3D1063064831504932%26set%3Dpob.100034042758783+author%3ATom+author%3AKunich>
Nothing found except John's posting. Tom, you're lying (again).

There's also a problem with the Facebook photo. The sign does not
show a shadow while the small trees behind it show very distinctive
shadows. I would call this a bad fake photo.

There might be a problem with my Usenet news provider, Supernews. It
might also be a problem on Tom's end because he just switched to
NewsHosting.com. The only reason I saw his article was that it was
partially included with John's reply. Tom's article did appear in
Google Groups as:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/QfPkRcblWoU/m/NjW-v2kWAQAJ>
No clue what happened but I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Sir Ridesalot

Feb 22, 2024, 12:40:03 AMFeb 22
So many of these threads remind me of fourth graders or younger arguing in a schoolyard. Lots of noise but little of substance. It's sad really as this used to be such a great and useful BICYCLING related newsgroup.

Cheers

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 22, 2024, 2:43:18 AMFeb 22
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:58:44 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Liebermann, your mind is showing.

Yep, it's difficult to hide. However, I'll confess to wearing a Greek
fisherman's hat while using my desktop computer.

>You are absolutely certain that I would take a picture from somewhere
>else in order to fool you.

I'm not absolutely certain of anything. I deal in probabilities.

I don't know where the Facebook picture was taken. It's not up to me
to prove that you faked the photo. It's your photo, so you get to
demonstrate that it's genuine. You can start by explaining why there
is no shadow behind the sign while there are shadows behind the trees.

>You are just as certain that I don't have any money.

I'm not certain, but it's likely. The major indication is that you
don't act like someone who has real money (millions). People change
when they have money. Mostly, the become more conservative discussing
their wealth because wealth attracts attention and attention attracts
thieves, crooks, scammers, tax collectors, etc. Another indication is
that you have demonstrated that the amazing facts you regurgitate in
RBT have consistently been proven wrong or at least unlikely. The
number of lies, fabrications, and contrived numbers is truly
astronomical. With such a track record of falsehood, it's fairly easy
for me to assume that your wealth is an illusion.

>You also believe that I am taking a bicycle path up Cull Canyon
>rather than the road.

Actually, I thought about that looking at the Google Earth photos. The
road is an obvious path for bicycle riding. When you previous claimed
that there were blackened burn marks on the Cull Canyon roadway where
EV's had burned to the ground, it was obvious that you were riding on
the road and not on the bicycle path. I wouldn't give this guesswork
a "probable" but I think it's "possible" that you preferred to ride on
the roadway.

>Your mind is so screwed up that you are indeed one pitiful
>creature trying their hardest to believe they aren't.

Why would I want and what would I do with your pity?

BTW, "one pitiful creature" is singular. Therefore, I suggest you
replace the word "their" with "its" or "his", and "they aren't" with
"he isn't".

Catrike Ryder

Feb 22, 2024, 4:04:24 AMFeb 22
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:58:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/21/2024 5:27 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:45:27 -0500, Catrike Ryder
>> <Sol...@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>:-) John, one doesn't get an Ohio Professional Engineering license
>without an appropriate degree in engineering. See
>https://peps.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/a79a8dc0-dcad-4ff0-a0e6-3107d17fffc2/PE+Licensure+Guidelines+Sept+2022.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-a79a8dc0-dcad-4ff0-a0e6-3107d17fffc2-oefmY3.

>>> Does he even have a PE licence?
>>

>> Interesting that Krygowski missed this chance to back up his claims
>> with a few braggs.
>
>The framed license is above my desk as I type. So is the one for
>Pennsylvania. Of course I can post and link to a photo - but I'm back in
>the usual conundrum: If I don't post evidence, I'm making things up. If
>I do post evidence, I'm bragging.

<LOL> Krygowski brags about his PE, but refuses to back it up,
because, he says, *that* would be bragging.

>This is like arguing with fourth graders.

Krygowski doesn't back up any of his brags. Makes one wonder if
they're true.

But never mind, state issued licenses are remarkably easy to verify.

https://elicense.ohio.gov/oh_verifylicense

>Why don't John and the tricycle rider post about their educations? (I
>suspect it's because they match Tom's.)

Unlike you, people with healthy self-esteem don't have any need to
brag.

...and I should also point out that bragging about an education is
only done by people who aren't able to brag about what they did with
their education.... In your case, Krygowski, what you did with your
education appears to be zilch.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2024, 5:58:11 AMFeb 22
<eyeroll>
more undocumented anecdotes from the floriduh dumbass

> two sissy-boys were potty trained.

1. Repeatedly accusing people of being "queer". He's a closeted queer, afraid people will find out.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 22, 2024, 6:06:28 AMFeb 22
On Thursday, February 22, 2024 at 4:04:24 AM UTC-5,floriduh dumbass wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:58:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >The framed license is above my desk as I type. So is the one for
> >Pennsylvania. Of course I can post and link to a photo - but I'm back in
> >the usual conundrum: If I don't post evidence, I'm making things up. If
> >I do post evidence, I'm bragging.
> <LOL> Krygowski brags about his PE, but refuses to back it up,
> because, he says, *that* would be bragging.

lol...yeah, you really are that dumb - 4th grade reading comprehension on display again.

> >This is like arguing with fourth graders.
> Krygowski doesn't back up any of his brags. Makes one wonder if
> they're true.

<eyeroll>
fucking liar. When he does you accuse him of bragging.

> But never mind, state issued licenses are remarkably easy to verify.
>
> https://elicense.ohio.gov/oh_verifylicense

OK, did you verify it?
Probably not, it takes more than a 4th grade reading level

> >Why don't John and the tricycle rider post about their educations? (I
> >suspect it's because they match Tom's.)
> Unlike you, people with healthy self-esteem don't have any need to
> brag.

I guess that says a lot about kunich, not so much about Frank,

> ...and I should also point out that bragging about an education is
> only done by people who aren't able to brag about what they did with
> their education....

<eyeroll> assumes facts not in evidence

> In your case, Krygowski, what you did with your
> education appears to be zilch.

<chuckle>
proud and willful ignorance on display again - floriduh dumbass, making the dumbshine state proud

Catrike Ryder

Feb 22, 2024, 6:28:13 AMFeb 22
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:58:08 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
See the "I'm pretty sure" reference, Dummy. IOW, it was only my
opinion.

>> two sissy-boys were potty trained.
>
>1. Repeatedly accusing people of being "queer". He's a closeted queer, afraid people will find out.

I was not aware that being a sissy is the same thing as being "queer,"
but you seem to know more about being "queer" than I, so I will defer
to your implied definition and say that I don't have any reason to
believe you are "queer."

I was only referring to what seems to be Krygowski and your only
non-employment related accomplishments. That'd be riding bicycles,
something that many women and children do.

Zen Cycle

Feb 22, 2024, 7:42:33 AMFeb 22
If that was attempted o be an insult, it was a typical kunich failure.

> You are absolutely certain that I would take a picture from somewhere else in order to fool you.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Your the one that posts a chart of
the stock market during the first 18 months of the Obama administration
claiming it "proves" he "destroyed" the economy, while purposely
omitting the last year of the Bush jr. showing the housing crash, or the
last years for the obama years showing the stock market (and the
economy) all reaching record highs.

You're the one who claims there were only ever 8000ish deaths from
covid, claiming the information is on the CDC website under "other
respiratory diseases" while that same page has a chart specifically
dedicated to covid deaths.

It shouldn't be a surprise that we might consider any photographic
"evidence" you post to be bogus.

> You are just as certain that I don't have any money.

I am too. In fact, I would suggest anyone here who has read you claims
of massive wealth suspects otherwise as well.

> You also believe that I am taking a bicycle path up Cull Canyon rather than the road. Your mind is so screwed up that you are indeed one pitiful creature trying their hardest to believe they aren't.

Projection duly noted.

--
Add xx to reply

Zen Cycle

Feb 22, 2024, 7:46:04 AMFeb 22
Haven't you heard Jeff? Tommy has joined the "woke" crowd!

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/use-the-singular-they/

Zen Cycle

Feb 22, 2024, 7:55:58 AMFeb 22
Dumbass shows he not only doesn't understand what a strawman is, but he
doesn't understand what an anecdote is.

>>> two sissy-boys were potty trained.
>>
>> 1. Repeatedly accusing people of being "queer". He's a closeted queer, afraid people will find out.
>
> I was not aware that being a sissy is the same thing as being "queer,"

Dumbasses willful ignorance on display

> but you seem to know more about being "queer" than I, so I will defer
> to your implied definition and say that I don't have any reason to
> believe you are "queer."

I know more about most things than you do, except how to proudly wallow
in willful ignorance.

> I was only referring to what seems to be Krygowski and your only
> non-employment related accomplishments. That'd be riding bicycles,
> something that many women and children do.

Unlike you, I don't brag about OT accomplishments unless it's brought up
in context.

AMuzi

Feb 22, 2024, 8:34:31 AMFeb 22
+1

I skip over invective and remote amateur psychoanalysis. meh.